[theano-users] Creating a dataset for convolutional neural network
c***@gmail.com
2015-04-02 13:58:51 UTC
i am trying to run the convolutional neural network with my own data set
and i get the TypeError: cannot convert Type TensorType(int32, matrix) (of
variable Subtensor{int64:int64:}.0)into to Type TensorType(int32, vector).
You can try to manually convert Subtensor {int64:int64:}.0 into tensorType
(int32, vector) i am wondering i the problem is the way i created my
dataset. This is the code i used which is a modification from one in
stackoverflow.com. I have 360 images and i want to classify them to four
classes.

import numpy as np
import pandas as pd
import sys
import time
import os
from datetime import datetime
from sklearn import ensemble, cross_validation, preprocessing

def dir_to_dataset(glob_files, loc_train_labels=" "):
print("Gonna process:\n\t %s"%glob_files)
dataset = []
for file_count, file_name in enumerate(
sorted(glob(glob_files),key=len)):
image = Image.open(file_name)
img = Image.open(file_name).convert('LA') #tograyscale
pixels = [f[0] for f in list(img.getdata())]
dataset.append(pixels)
if file_count % 1000 == 0:
print("\t %s files processed"%file_count)
outfile = glob_files+"out"
np.save(outfile, dataset)
if len(loc_train_labels) > 0:
df = pd.read_csv(loc_train_labels)
return np.array(dataset), np.array(df["Class"])
else:
return np.array(dataset)

Data, y = dir_to_dataset("trainMNISTForm\\*.JPG","labels.csv")

# Data and labels are read

train_set_x = Data[:259]
val_set_x = Data[260:309]
test_set_x = Data[310:360]
train_set_y = y[:259]
val_set_y = y[260:309]
test_set_y = y[310:360]
# Divided dataset into 3 parts. I had 360 images.

train_set = train_set_x, train_set_y
val_set = val_set_x, val_set_y
test_set = test_set_x, val_set_y

dataset = [train_set, val_set, test_set]

f = gzip.open('file.pkl.gz', 'wb')
cPickle.dump(dataset, f, protocol=2)
f.close()

Kindly help
--
---
Pascal Lamblin
2015-04-02 21:01:09 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
i am trying to run the convolutional neural network with my own data set
and i get the TypeError: cannot convert Type TensorType(int32, matrix) (of
variable Subtensor{int64:int64:}.0)into to Type TensorType(int32, vector).
You can try to manually convert Subtensor {int64:int64:}.0 into tensorType
(int32, vector) i am wondering i the problem is the way i created my
dataset. This is the code i used which is a modification from one in
stackoverflow.com. I have 360 images and i want to classify them to four
classes.
The number of dimensions of the symbolic x defined in your model (for
instance, "x = T.matrix()") has to match with the number of dimensions
of train_set_x: if x was a matrix, train_set_x should have 2 dimensions,
or, if train_set_x has 4 dimensions (for instance), you can define x as
a tensor4.

It's the same thing for y. In your case, you seem to have train_set_y
as a matrix of ints, but the "y" symbolic dataset in your model be a
vector.
wezou
2015-04-03 09:38:06 UTC
thank pascal for your advice. i changed the symbolic variable for y to be
a matrix but then i get the error: TypeError (' y should have the same
shape as self_.y_pred', ('y', TensorType int32, matrix), 'y+pred',
TensorType(int64,vector))).
i dont know what is wrong
kindly help
wezou
2015-04-03 10:19:53 UTC
the above error i get when i change y to y =T. imatrix('y'). and when i
change it to y = matrix('y') i get the error TypeError: index must be
integers.
i lost need some help
Pascal Lamblin
2015-04-03 23:34:05 UTC
Post by wezou
the above error i get when i change y to y =T. imatrix('y'). and when i
change it to y = matrix('y') i get the error TypeError: index must be
integers.
i lost need some help
The way the training cost is implemented in this example, it takes a
prediction from the network, which is a matrix where each row represents
the probabilities of the corresponding input belonging to a class, and a
target, which is a vector containing the class index of each input. The
cost corresponds to the negative log-likelihood of the target.

If your target is a matrix, I suppose you will have to define a
different cost, and write an expression for it.
wezou
2015-04-05 05:32:17 UTC
thank you pascal for this advice but i am still lost
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
i am trying to run the convolutional neural network with my own
data
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
set
Post by c***@gmail.com
and i get the TypeError: cannot convert Type TensorType(int32,
matrix)
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
(of
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
stackoverflow.com. I have 360 images and i want to classify them
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
four
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
send
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
Pascal
--
---
Pascal
--
---
Pascal Lamblin
2015-04-07 19:54:00 UTC
Post by wezou
thank you pascal for this advice but i am still lost
The code examples in the deep learning tutorials are small recipes to
show how to implement some particular kinds of models.

They are not black box algorithms that you can plug any data in, and
expect the results to make sense.

If you want to apply these models to your data, you have to at least understand:
- what your data is
- what your target is
- how your data is supposed to be used by the model
- what your cost function is, and how it is supposed to use your targets
You also have to be ready to implement the parts that you need if the
given example does not fit what you need to do with it.
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
i am trying to run the convolutional neural network with my own
data
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
set
Post by c***@gmail.com
and i get the TypeError: cannot convert Type TensorType(int32,
matrix)
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
(of
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
stackoverflow.com. I have 360 images and i want to classify them
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
four
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
Pascal
--
---
Pascal
--
---
wezou
2015-04-08 06:03:52 UTC
thanks pascal, i really appreciate the way you have answered this question
over and over in this forum. i guess my data has a matrix in place of the
vector for value y. is there a way i can change y into a vector instead of
changing the cost function to accept a matrix. i guess this is harder for a
beginner like me.
thank you
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
be a matrix but then i get the error: TypeError (' y should have
the
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
same
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
shape as self_.y_pred', ('y', TensorType int32, matrix), 'y+pred',
TensorType(int64,vector))).
i dont know what is wrong
kindly help
On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 5:01:13 AM UTC+8, Pascal Lamblin
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
i am trying to run the convolutional neural network with my
own
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
data
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
set
Post by c***@gmail.com
and i get the TypeError: cannot convert Type TensorType(int32,
matrix)
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
(of
Post by c***@gmail.com
variable Subtensor{int64:int64:}.0)into to Type
TensorType(int32,
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
vector).
Post by c***@gmail.com
(int32, vector) i am wondering i the problem is the way i
created
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
my
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
dataset. This is the code i used which is a modification from
one
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
in
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
stackoverflow.com. I have 360 images and i want to classify
them
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
four
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
or, if train_set_x has 4 dimensions (for instance), you can
define x
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
as
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
as a matrix of ints, but the "y" symbolic dataset in your model
be a
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
vector.
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
Google
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Groups "theano-users" group.
Post by c***@gmail.com
it,
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
send
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
Pascal
--
---
send
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Pascal
--
---
Pascal
--
---
Pascal Lamblin
2015-04-08 16:05:26 UTC
Post by wezou
thanks pascal, i really appreciate the way you have answered this question
over and over in this forum. i guess my data has a matrix in place of the
vector for value y. is there a way i can change y into a vector instead of
changing the cost function to accept a matrix. i guess this is harder for a
beginner like me.
It really depends what the shape and the content of the matrix is.
If your matrix is (1, n) or (n, 1) and contains one class index per example,
you can simply flatten or reshape it into a vector of length n.
If your matrix is (n, n_classes) and each row contains a one-hot vector,
you can use argmax to extract the index of the class.

However, if your matrix contains one probability vector or another
continuous variable for each example, or more than one class index per
example, then the computation currently done for the cost function do
not make any sense, and you will have to write a different one.
Post by wezou
thank you
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
be a matrix but then i get the error: TypeError (' y should have
the
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
same
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
i am trying to run the convolutional neural network with my
own
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
data
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
set
Post by c***@gmail.com
and i get the TypeError: cannot convert Type TensorType(int32,
matrix)
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
(of
Post by c***@gmail.com
variable Subtensor{int64:int64:}.0)into to Type
TensorType(int32,
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
vector).
Post by c***@gmail.com
(int32, vector) i am wondering i the problem is the way i
created
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
my
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
dataset. This is the code i used which is a modification from
one
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
in
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
stackoverflow.com. I have 360 images and i want to classify
them
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
four
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
or, if train_set_x has 4 dimensions (for instance), you can
define x
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
as
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
as a matrix of ints, but the "y" symbolic dataset in your model
be a
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
vector.
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Groups "theano-users" group.
Post by c***@gmail.com
it,
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
send
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
Pascal
--
---
send
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Pascal
--
---
Pascal
--
---
wezou
2015-04-10 15:03:03 UTC
thanks a lot pascal, flatten does the magic for me. One behalf of all the
newbies in theano i say thank you for your support, you really respond
fast.
Post by wezou
beginner like me.
It really depends what the shape and the content of the matrix is.
If your matrix is (1, n) or (n, 1) and contains one class index per example,
you can simply flatten or reshape it into a vector of length n.
If your matrix is (n, n_classes) and each row contains a one-hot vector,
you can use argmax to extract the index of the class.
However, if your matrix contains one probability vector or another
continuous variable for each example, or more than one class index per
example, then the computation currently done for the cost function do
not make any sense, and you will have to write a different one.
Post by wezou
thank you
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
change it to y = matrix('y') i get the error TypeError: index
must
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
be
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
target, which is a vector containing the class index of each
input.
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
The
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
thank pascal for your advice. i changed the symbolic
variable
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
for y
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
be a matrix but then i get the error: TypeError (' y should
have
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
the
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
same
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
i am trying to run the convolutional neural network with
my
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
own
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
data
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
set
Post by c***@gmail.com
and i get the TypeError: cannot convert Type
TensorType(int32,
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
matrix)
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
(of
Post by c***@gmail.com
variable Subtensor{int64:int64:}.0)into to Type
TensorType(int32,
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
vector).
Post by c***@gmail.com
You can try to manually convert Subtensor {int64:int64:}.0
into
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
tensorType
Post by c***@gmail.com
(int32, vector) i am wondering i the problem is the way i
created
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
my
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
dataset. This is the code i used which is a modification
from
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
one
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
in
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
stackoverflow.com. I have 360 images and i want to
classify
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
them
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
four
Post by c***@gmail.com
classes.
The number of dimensions of the symbolic x defined in your
model
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
(for
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
or, if train_set_x has 4 dimensions (for instance), you can
define x
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
as
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
as a matrix of ints, but the "y" symbolic dataset in your
model
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
be a
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
vector.
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by Pascal Lamblin
Post by wezou
Post by wezou
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
# Data and labels are read
train_set_x = Data[:259]
val_set_x = Data[260:309]
test_set_x = Data[310:360]
train_set_y = y[:259]
val_set_y = y[260:309]
test_set_y = y[310:360]
# Divided dataset into 3 parts. I had 360 images.
train_set = train_set_x, train_set_y
val_set = val_set_x, val_set_y
test_set = test_set_x, val_set_y
dataset = [train_set, val_set, test_set]
f = gzip.open('file.pkl.gz', 'wb')
cPickle.dump(dataset, f, protocol=2)
f.close()
Kindly help